Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Where the hell am I?

A supermoon and lunar eclipse on my birthday!


The last 13 months have been eventful. I moved to Lyon, France, spent 7 months improving my French and almost got 1000€ ripped off by my housing company (full story available at my Yelp review), spent 2 months in North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, got admitted to university in Liège and in Strasbourg, went to Seoul for a couple of weeks, and moved to Belgium.

Along the way, I caught up with my relatives in the north of Holland, met a silly and smart German partner, became super buddies with mah Alaskan homie Jamie, and met a bunch of other international folks on the move.

I've briefly travelled to Amsterdam, Bonn, Berlin, Cologne, Nice and Geneva. So, well, there went (almost) all my savings from all the tutoring and interning and translating. I'll just join the rest of Europe in austerity measures.

For the next two years, I'll be living in Belgium and the Netherlands, reading for a dual-degree Master's. I'm also learning German, and might look for jobs in German-speaking countries. I might return to Korea and complete my Conference Interpreting degree. I'm still weighing the options.

On the 'Korean' side of things, apparently my mum went to see a fortune-teller a couple of years back who told her my life would start "opening up"once I reached my mid-twenties. When she told me this, of course I scoffed, since most Koreans finish university at 23 or 24 and they would naturally start having more options in life.

Otherwise, this year Chuseok (Korean thanksgiving) coincided with my birthday and the supermoon/lunar eclipse. That was hella cool y'all!

In November I'm in Brussels to see Chvrches (@Ancienne Belgique) and Of Monsters And Men (@Forest National). Concerts are cheap here, standing tickets selling for  27€ and 36€ each, both including transport to and from the venue (within Brussels). Belgium has a lot more to offer besides waffles and beer! (Also Speculoos spread, Leonidas chocolates, and special meatballs called boulets instead of boulettes, the explanation being, they are bigger than boulettes. I've also finally found beer heaven. No offense Germany, but your beer is just bitter. Here they have blond beers, fruity kriek, and the bottles are smaller (Okay okay, your Radlers are awesome too).

Hope it's sunny where you are, dear reader, because it's a Belgian foggy week ahead for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment