Sunday, October 11, 2015

Hello hello

Voilà. Here's an extremely blurry photo of me.


Hi, I'm Emily. I'm a interpreter in training and freelance translator from Seoul.
I currently live in Liège, Belgium, and study something complicated and highly theoretical that may or may not help me be employed in the future.

If you feel like you've seen me or my posts from here, it's perfectly normal. I'm her twin sister Eviley who bludgeoned her for the insurance money. Just kidding. I'm in the process of looking for a more user-friendly blogging platform, and as you can see, I'm testing Blogger at the moment.

I write about living in different places and my observations, and Korea. Korea and I have a long-lasting love/hate relationship through which she leaves me thoroughly confused at times on Friday nights. Which is why I spend much time talking about my Korea problems and curiosities with my friends, who are sometimes as lost as I am despite having been born and raised in Korea all their lives. Some of them are more lost than I am, and I take every one of those opportunities to sound smart for a glorious minute or so.

You may like it here if you have some of the following questions:
  1. Why, despite being born Korean, do I feel like I'm a foreigner in my country?
  2. As a foreigner, why is Korea so (insert appropriate adjective or phrase)?
  3. Why are there so many Koreans in (insert location)?
  4. Why do Koreans find  (something from some foreign country) so weird? 
As both an insider and outsider to South Korea, I am searching for answers to several of these questions. I don't have the answers, but I do have 8 years' worth of observations and conversations.




No comments:

Post a Comment